[ontolog-forum] Can Syntax become Semantic ?

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Phani Chaitanya <vsr.phanichaitanya@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2010 12:59:25 +0530
Hello all,

I have a doubt in the semantic web applications. I mean, how semantic is the application that we build which can contribute to semantic web.

For example, if I want to build an application which does buying/selling of some items (let's say cars).

Now broadly there are two types one being who wanted to buy a car and the other who whanted sell a car.

So, if I have a RDF file which get's generated whenever a person enters info. like name, address, email, the type of car he/she wants to sell, price etc .. with a RDF ID.

Similaryly I will have the info. for person who would like to buy that type of car.

Now, what should my application do ? whenever one wants to buy a car .. my system should search for those types of car put up for sale by some others.

For it to work, one needs to have a DB to search upon which essentially is a search engine db. All I gained in terms of semantics is representing in RDF which is one form of XML.

For, a computer to process the info. we need to explicity provide the heuristics for it to undergo some actions on seeing some tags.

So, how Syntax can become Semantic ?

Sorry, if I don't make any sense. But I would really like to know about semantic web and it's applications.

Regards,
Phani Chaitanya.