Re: [ontolog-forum] Theoretical issues and practical applications

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "John F. Sowa" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2010 09:53:18 -0500
Len,    (01)

LY> I found this presentation which compares several practical
 > approaches using experimental data. It also provides a (predicted)
 > time line for future progress.

http://www.larkc.eu/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/larkc-kickoff-meeting-greaves.pdf    (02)

That is an interesting presentation.  But it never defines the term
LarKC or even explains the acronym -- that's because it was presented
at a meeting where people already knew the term.    (03)

For the record, LarKC is supposed to be a Large Knowledge Collider.
Following is a FAQ sheet:    (04)

    http://wiki.larkc.eu/LarkcProject/FAQ    (05)

I recommend the following 6-page overview:    (06)

    http://www.larkc.eu/wp-content/uploads/2008/05/larkc-icsc08.pdf    (07)

Following is a 22 megabyte ppt "vision" with lots of gee-whiz graphics,
which I wouldn't recommend unless you have a high-speed line:    (08)

    http://www.larkc.eu/wp-content/uploads/larkc-in-a-nutshell.ppt    (09)

A short summary of my views on the project:    (010)

  1. I agree with many of the points that Mark Greaves makes in the
     first presentation above.    (011)

  2. I strongly endorse one of the goals of the LarKC project:
     "Enriching the current logic-based Semantic Web reasoning
     methods with methods from information retrieval, machine
     learning, information theory, databases, and probabilistic
     reasoning."    (012)

  3. I also endorse their goal of removing "the scalability
     barriers of currently existing reasoning systems."    (013)

  3. But I have serious doubts about a prediction by Gartner that
     by 2012, 70% of the web pages will be marked up with RDF.    (014)

  4. And I am highly skeptical about projects that bring together
     14 different groups, each blessed with half a million euros,
     with the expectation that they will magically produce a
     major new breakthrough.    (015)

Although I believe that XML tags (including RDF) are valuable for
many purposes, I believe that we can extract much more semantic
information from raw, untagged natural language texts.    (016)

At VivoMind, we have been doing that.  And we have achieved goals
#2 and #3 above without using tagged texts.  We have processed
gigabytes and terabytes of NL text with an ordinary 8-CPU server.    (017)