Re: [ontolog-forum] Theoretical issues and practical applications

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 10 Jan 2010 14:05:10 -0500 (EST)

I recently came across a phrase that summarizes the issues of communication and interoperability in five simple words:

     Cada cabeza es un mundo.

     Each head is a world.

This phrase was applied to the problems of educating children (see below), but exactly the same issues apply to the problems of designing intelligent computer systems.

The opposite approach, which some ontologists still hold dear, was enunciated by the schoolmaster Thomas Gradgrind in Dickens novel, _Hard Times_.  His goal was "to fill the little pitchers full of facts."

Filling our computers full of facts (or ontologies) will not make them interoperate any more successfully than Gradgrind's method for teaching children.

Since I don't know anything about the following method other than the slogan above, I can't say how far it would apply to our computer systems. But one point I want to stress is that Gradgrind's method, by itself, is guaranteed to fail.

John Sowa

Product Description

Cada Cabeza es un Mundo is a multi-volume, interdisciplinary instructional curriculum designed for schools, libraries, social services, individuals, and community organizations seeking effective, validated materials to meet the needs of at-risk youth. This powerful and fully validated set of educational materials reinforces a positive self-image for each individual and challenges them to compete academically through a culturally based curriculum.

The full curriculum set has 272 teaching hours provided in the following items: a two-volume curriculum with eighteen educational units, or Journeys; La Crónica newspapers; resource directory; fact booklet We the American . . . Hispanics; booklet Rising Voices: Profiles in Leadership; and an award-winning video cassette and film guide. Some of the topics, or Discoveries, included are Self-Empowerment (15 hours), Families and Parenting (25 hours), Health and Nutrition (7 hours), Artist, Muralists, and Musicians (91 combined hours); Addiction Prevention (5 hours).

This drop out prevention kit provides detailed lesson plans, reading materials and reproducible items for use in the classroom, all accompanied by slides and audio-cassette tapes featuring Latino-Chicano music recorded by Carlos Santana and other musicians.

"I am wondering why the kit has not been used in every classroom, K-12. It has quality information and clear-cut topics for use in teaching history, social studies, and literature. What I like most about the material is its sensitive/sensible approach to expressing ethics, values, parenting, health, decision making, and social conditions."--Refugio I. Rochin, Professor Emeritus, UC-Davis

The Hispanic Education and Media Group, Inc., founded in 1989 by Marine Dominguez and Margot Segura, is an established non-profit organization dedicated to enhancing the quality of life in the Latino-Chicano community through a curriculum built upon culturally relevant film, video, music, art, and printed materials. They also provide teacher training and on-site consultation in the implementation of their curriculum.