[ontolog-forum] FW: SemTech 2010: Call for Presentations Extended to Mon

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Duane Nickull <dnickull@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 8 Jan 2010 13:44:31 -0800
FYI

------ Forwarded Message
From: "Tony Shaw, Semantic Universe" <tony@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 8 Jan 2010 08:35:28 -0800
To: Duane Nickull <dnickull@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: SemTech 2010: Call for Presentations Extended to Monday, January 25

View an HTML version  <http://app.streamsend.com/c/8186311/52091/xQoJFQ8/Lplz?redirect_to=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.semantic-conference.com%2F2010%2FCFP%2Fcfp.html%3Futm_source%3Dstreamsend%26utm_medium%3Demail%26utm_content%3D8186311%26utm_campaign%3DSemTech%25202010%253A%2520Call%2520for%2520Presentations%2520Extended%2520to%2520Monday%252C%2520January%252025> of this email

SemTech 2010:
 THE SEMANTIC TECHNOLOGY CONFERENCE
June 21-25, 2010
 Hilton Union Square, San Francisco, California
 #SEMCONF CALL FOR PRESENTATIONS - DEADLINE EXTENDED TO JANUARY 25

Start the Submission Process... <http://app.streamsend.com/c/8186311/52101/xQoJFQ8/Lplz?redirect_to=http%3A%2F%2Fwilshire.skyworld.com%2Fsemtech2010%3Futm_source%3Dstreamsend%26utm_medium%3Demail%26utm_content%3D8186311%26utm_campaign%3DSemTech%25202010%253A%2520Call%2520for%2520Presentations%2520Extended%2520to%2520Monday%252C%2520January%252025> <http://app.streamsend.com/c/8186311/52111/xQoJFQ8/Lplz?redirect_to=http%3A%2F%2Fwilshire.skyworld.com%2Fsemtech2010%3Futm_source%3Dstreamsend%26utm_medium%3Demail%26utm_content%3D8186311%26utm_campaign%3DSemTech%25202010%253A%2520Call%2520for%2520Presentations%2520Extended%2520to%2520Monday%252C%2520January%252025>
Presentation proposals are now being accepted for the Semantic Technology Conference.  After 4 years of continuous growth, SemTech moves back to San Francisco for the first time since its inception.  Over 1200 people are expected to attend. This will be the 6th Annual SemTech Conference, and based on enormous demand from prior years we are providing numerous new opportunities to speak at the conference in 2010. In particular, these new formats will provide more opportunities for product developers and entrepreneurs to bring their work to the attention of customers, business partners and investors. The SemTech agenda comprises multiple educational sessions, including tutorials, technical topics, business topics, product demonstrations and case studies. As always, we are very interested in presentations on currently implemented semantic applications in both the enterprise and consumer environments. A number of topic areas are identified, but speakers are invited to offer additional topic areas if they wish. The SemTech conference is produced by Semantic Universe, LLC. Questions regarding speaking opportunities can be addressed to Tony Shaw at tony@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx. Sponsorship opportunities are available for appropriate vendor and media organizations. For sponsorship information, please contact Steve Bastasini at +1-415-740-5528 or email steve@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.
Topic Areas Include:

  • Business Applications
  • Consumer Applications
  • Data Portability
  • Enterprise Semantics
  • Foundational Topics
  • Knowledge Engineering and Management
  • Linked Data
  • New Products & Companies
  • Ontology Design and Engineering
  • Research
  • Semantic Rules (incl. RuleML, RIF, SILK, RL Profile)
  • Semantic Publishing
  • Semantic Search
  • Semantic Software Development
  • Semantic Web
  • Semantics for Enterprise Data
  • Smart Marketing and Advertising
  • Social Networks & Collaboration
  • Web 3.0 Web Sites
Presentation Formats
The conference program includes the following presentation options and formats:

Reviewed and Invited Presentations
SemTech has always been noted for the high quality of its educational conference. This is because the formal educational conference comprises presentations that are reviewed by a committee of industry experts and the best are invited to participate.  In 2010, reviewed presentations will be invited in the following formats:

  • Full Conference Session – 60 minutes
  • The classic SemTech presentation format is a full-hour presentation or panel session, selected for inclusion after a comprehensive review by the conference committee. Multiple speakers may be proposed.  The first (primary) speaker receives complimentary conference attendance. Additional speakers or panelists register at the special speaker rate of $495.
  • Half-Conference Session – 30 minutes
  • Similar to a full conference session only shorter.  We often combine these half-sessions to fill a full-hour timeslot.  The first (primary) speaker receives complimentary conference attendance. Additional speakers or panelists register at the special speaker rate of $495.
  • Full and Half-Day Tutorials - 6 hours and 3 hours
  • In-depth educational presentations, designed to provide the audience with detailed technical information, skills or methodologies. Tutorial speakers receive an honorarium (fee) for their participation, which is $600 for a half-day and $1200 for a full day.  An additional 25% bonus is paid to tutorial speakers who provide their presentation slides by the materials deadline.
Presentation Opportunities for All Conference Registrants
We're introducing some new presentation formats so as to give more opportunities for attendees to notify the community about their work. Some of these are very short but will enable you to speak to a broad audience of potential customers, partners and investors.  Others are designed to provide better professional networking opportunities to the entire Semtech community.
Elevator Pitch – 1 minute, no slides

 Every year we get LOTS of requests to speak from people who are developing products to sell into the SemTech market.  Typically they want some way to tell the world that they exist, and say something about their idea or project.  Until now, we’ve not had a good outlet for all of those requests.  The Elevator Pitch is that outlet - a one-minute talk that allows anyone with a semantic product (or product idea) to pitch themselves in front of the SemTech audience, including potential investors, VCs, customers, business partners and employees.  The Elevator Pitch may have only one speaker and that person must be a registered attendee of the conference (either a paid attendee, reviewed speaker, or sponsor).  ALL Elevator Pitches submitted by the
January 25 submission deadline WILL BE ACCEPTED.  You must submit your request using the official Call for Presentations form, however you do not have to submit an abstract or title at this time if you wish to keep your information confidential. Just indicate "TBA" when you complete the CFP forms. Lightning Talk – 5 minutes/10 slides maximum

 Lightning talks are 5-minute presentations. We combine numerous lightning talks on a common subject into 30 or 60 minute sessions within the formal conference agenda. Lightning talks can be about ideas, solutions, methods, products, research projects or implementation experience and they can be on any topic you like.  The topics that are included in the conference agenda will ultimately be selected by the conference committee based on a combination of factors, including speaker proposals, audience input and perceived need.  Lightning talks may have only one speaker and that speaker must be a registered attendee of the conference (either a paid attendee, reviewed speaker, or sponsor).  Lightning talks are the most likely way to be selected to speak at the conference because of the short format.  Lightning talks can be proposed nearer to the conference date however the earlier you submit your proposal, the greater your chances of selection.
Face-to-Face Conversations - 30 minutes

 We all know that the best conference conversations happen in the corridors, but too often these encounters occur purely by chance.  This year at SemTech we are doing everything possible to enable more of those great conversations to happen.  You can now request a Face-to-Face conversation which means you’d like to meet other attendees who are interested in the same topics as you, and that you’re organizing a get-together – maybe a lunch group or a coffee break – and we’ll publish your meeting along with the rest of the agenda.  Plus we’ll help you organize everyone before the conference.  The Face-to-Face can have as many attendees as you want, but everyone must be a registered attendee of the conference (either a reviewed speaker, paid attendee or sponsor).
ALL Face-to-Face meetings submitted by the January 25 submission deadline WILL BE ACCEPTED.
Sponsored Presentations
SemTech does not usually allow sales pitches or commercial presentations within the formal educational agenda, however we recognize that there is a valuable place at the conference for product demonstrations and other vendor-oriented presentations.  Vendors pay a sponsorship fee for the privilege of making these presentations and the sessions are clearly identified for the audience's benefit.  The available formats for sponsored sessions are:
Product and/or Company Showcase - 30 or 60 minutes

 Are you looking for customers, or business partners, or investors?  If you'd like to talk about your prouct or your company, make your proposal for a Showcase presentation. We'll contact you with details of sponsorship costs, which will include full conference registration for your designated speaker.
User Group Meetings - 2 or 3 hours

 SemTech hosts many user group meetings. Previous user gatherings have been conducted for TopBraid, Semantic MediaWiki, OpenCalais and Federal Government executives.  User meetings can be scheduled before, during or after the official SemTech dates. Just make your proposal or give us a call.
Field Trip - 3 hours

 Field trips to organizations based in the San Francisco Bay area are conducted on the final afternoon of SemTech. If you would like to invite semTech attendees to visit your company site or lab, then talk to us about a field trip.
Key Dates & Speaker Deadlines
Proposal  Submissions Due
All proposals  must be submitted via the online Call for Papers process HERE <http://app.streamsend.com/c/8186311/52121/xQoJFQ8/Lplz?redirect_to=http%3A%2F%2Fwilshire.skyworld.com%2Fsemtech2010%3Futm_source%3Dstreamsend%26utm_medium%3Demail%26utm_content%3D8186311%26utm_campaign%3DSemTech%25202010%253A%2520Call%2520for%2520Presentations%2520Extended%2520to%2520Monday%252C%2520January%252025> .
January 25, 2010
Speakers notified of selection February 8, 2010
Speaker Presentation files due May 24, 2010

Speaker Terms and Conditions <http://app.streamsend.com/c/8186311/52131/xQoJFQ8/Lplz?redirect_to=http%3A%2F%2Fsemantic-conference.com%2F2010%2Fcfp%2Fcfpterms.html%3Futm_source%3Dstreamsend%26utm_medium%3Demail%26utm_content%3D8186311%26utm_campaign%3DSemTech%25202010%253A%2520Call%2520for%2520Presentations%2520Extended%2520to%2520Monday%252C%2520January%252025>
Questions and Inquiries
All questions and inquiries about speaking at the conference may be directed to Tony Shaw via tony@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:tony@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> .

 All questions and inquiries about
exhibiting and sponsorships may be directed to Steve Bastasini via  steve@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:steve@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> .

General inquiries about the conference may be directed to: info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> .

Start the proposal process HERE <http://app.streamsend.com/c/8186311/52141/xQoJFQ8/Lplz?redirect_to=http%3A%2F%2Fwilshire.skyworld.com%2Fsemtech2010%3Futm_source%3Dstreamsend%26utm_medium%3Demail%26utm_content%3D8186311%26utm_campaign%3DSemTech%25202010%253A%2520Call%2520for%2520Presentations%2520Extended%2520to%2520Monday%252C%2520January%252025> .  <http://app.streamsend.com/c/8186311/52151/xQoJFQ8/Lplz?redirect_to=http%3A%2F%2Fwilshire.skyworld.com%2Fsemtech2010%3Futm_source%3Dstreamsend%26utm_medium%3Demail%26utm_content%3D8186311%26utm_campaign%3DSemTech%25202010%253A%2520Call%2520for%2520Presentations%2520Extended%2520to%2520Monday%252C%2520January%252025>

| Semantic Universe LLC| 13020 Dickens Street, Studio City, CA 91604 | USA | 1-310-337-2616 |

(Note our new address)

------ End of Forwarded Message