Re: [ontolog-forum] Theoretical issues and practical applications

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "John F. Sowa" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 05 Jan 2010 01:46:38 -0500
David and Rob,    (01)

DE> By a show of hands, who got a piece of mail with either your
 > name misspelled or your address mangled?  THAT is the result
 > of massive efforts to "merge" KBs...    (02)

That's an example of the kinds of problems that arise.    (03)

RA> If banks do close accounts and reopen them, well .. that sure
 > sounds like 'merging' to me (in this case done manually to ensure
 > few if any mistakes).    (04)

For practical purposes, it has the desired effect.  But different
banks usually usually have lots of software that depends on exactly
how the data is formatted, the names of the files and data items
in those files, and the policies for overdrafts, late payments, etc.    (05)

But if you close one account in the database for bank A and open up
a new account in the DB for bank B, you can ignore all those details.
You just transfer the funds from A to B, ignore all the rules and
policies of bank A, and adopt all the rules and policies of bank B.    (06)

That transfer preserves only one important aspect:  the value of
the deposited funds.  All the rules of A are ignored, and the
new rules of B are applied without any need for "aligning"
the axioms and definitions.    (07)