Re: [ontolog-forum] Can Syntax become Semantic ?

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Jim Rhyne" <jrr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2010 12:17:41 -0800

A trading system application acts as a third party broker between the buyer and seller. Both buyer and seller register with the trading system and the trading system matches goods offered with buyer requests for goods. The match could involve an auction (as eBay does) or a direct trade or purchase.

The semantic web eliminates the trading system. Assume that a seller creates some information on the web that is annotated with RDF. The buyer uses a search service (perhaps implemented with SPARQL) to search the web. This search service is general in nature (like Google) and is provided by many sites on the web, or it may be a personal implementation provided by the buyer or seller. The RDF provides a standard way for sellers to describe their offerings without interfering with the sellers ability to create a personal and pleasing web experience. It also standardizes the way buyers can frame a query.

Does this help?

Jim