Re: [ontolog-forum] Ontologist Aptitude Test?

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Joel Bender <jjb5@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 2009 12:26:35 -0500
John F. Sowa wrote:    (01)

> Furthermore, any student who used such a test as a guide to
> study would be guaranteed to be obsolete upon graduation.    (02)

The rejoinder is "you can't improve what you don't measure."    (03)

>  1. Look more for the long-term development of the team than
>     to fill a specific position.
>
>  2. Evaluate individual players more on their general
>     athletic ability and potential than on their specific
>     skills at the moment.    (04)

Those are great if you are trying to build a team, but not if you are trying to
solve a problem.  Good or bad, wouldn't a business be interested in hiring a
"consultant ontologist" to solve some system design or modeling problem the
current team can't solve?    (05)

> If I were hiring anybody, I would consider a certificate of having
> passed an OAT exam as about same level as a certificate of MCP
> (Microsoft Certified Professional) -- i.e., it would be an
> indication that the individual was likely to become obsolete
> with the next software release.    (06)

Lots of businesses start out with a server, go through the installation
prompts, use it for a week, something breaks and they're stuck.  So they need
someone to fix it NOW.  Certification says "I know what I'm doing with this
system."  You might hire them back for the next release if they do a good job,
or if there are more problems and they're worth their salt, hire them full time.    (07)

Put in another context, a business manager is getting irritated by the design
and development teams saying "we need an ontologist" or he/she goes to lunch
with a colleague that says "we've done so much better after we hired an
ontologist".  After reading a bunch of wiki pages it's time to put together a
list of interview questions.    (08)

What would you ask "an ontologist" during an interview?  Time limit for
questions and answers, 1 hour.    (09)

Has someone put together a list of common interview questions?  How about
questions I didn't know I should have asked, but I'm glad not only that someone
asked them, but they have reviewed this particular candidates answer and said
"it's a good one"?    (010)

Here's another take: Ushold and King have written some interesting papers.  Why
are these papers relevant?  Why do people consider them better or better than
work by somebody else?  What questions should I be able to answer at the end of
reading their papers?  What answer shows that I not only read the paper, but
paid attention?    (011)

Joel    (012)