Re: [ontolog-forum] Ontologist Aptitude Test?

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Ed Barkmeyer <edbark@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 2009 16:02:33 -0500

John F. Sowa wrote:
> JB> ... the design and development teams saying "we need an ontologist"
>  > or he/she goes to lunch with a colleague that says "we've done so much
>  > better after we hired an ontologist".
>
> On what planet have you ever heard anybody say anything like that?
>       (01)

I had the same reaction.  Then I wondered:  Why would the great minds
discuss the solution to a problem that doesn't exist?    (02)

> ... Doug Lenat did use a simple test, but only to weed out the
> incompetent.      (03)

At least Doug had a requirement for an ontologist, and the personal
skills to make the judgement.
And I foresee that being the state of the practice for some time: It
takes one to know one.    (04)

I don't know how to teach knowledge engineering skills; so I can't
imagine developing an abstract test for them.
I suppose that, since one can now be a Certified UML Modeler, one could
probably be a Certified OWL Modeler.  OTOH, the relationship between
Certified OWL Modeler and "ontologist aptitude" is unknown.    (05)

-Ed    (06)

Gaithersburg, MD 20899-8263                FAX: +1 301-975-4694    (07)

 and have not been reviewed by any Government authority."    (08)