Re: [ontolog-forum] Garcia's Ontology development method

To: <ian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Rich Cooper" <rich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2009 11:45:25 -0800

Comments interspersed below,

-Rich

Sincerely,

Rich Cooper

EnglishLogicKernel.com

Rich AT EnglishLogicKernel DOT com

From: ontolog-forum-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:ontolog-forum-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Ian Bailey
Sent: Friday, November 13, 2009 8:47 AM
To: '[ontolog-forum] '
Subject: Re: [ontolog-forum] Garcia's Ontology development method

Hi Alexander,

I agree. My experience is that interviews don’t work, and you end up second guessing the subject.

If you can get your hands on legacy data (the dirtier the better) then I’d recommend analysing that rather than talking to users. By that, I really do mean the data, not the data model of the legacy system (which will probably have been developed on the basis of interviews and process models). Legacy systems provide a much better “source of truth” for what the users do than anything they might tell you. It’s very revealing.

I strongly second that.  It’s an experience most developers and theorizers never get into, but that is where the heart of the matter is determined.  Also, the legacy data needs to be reengineered into the new ontology in some iterative way, with each stage of conversion getting buy-in from the participants.  That’s always possible controversial concepts can always be divided into those who support them and those who don’t, with an interface between them.  For more complete information, see:

http://www.englishlogickernel.com/Patent-7-209-923-B1.pdf

for details and analysis methods and tools.

-Rich

I wrote a (fairly light-hearted) paper for Cutter on this, see : http://www.cutter.com/offers/forensicIS.html. It also covers a bit of the methodology I tend to use (Chris Partridge’s BORO method). You might have to register to download it, but I think you can opt out of being mailed.

Ian