Re: [ontolog-forum] Ontology development method

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, marc.l.walker@xxxxxx
Cc: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: "Avril Styrman" <Avril.Styrman@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2009 20:34:26 +0200
Dear Marc,    (01)

you can find a description of a small-scale ontologization process in
section 4.1 of my MSc thesis
http://www.cs.helsinki.fi/u/astyrman/gradu.pdf    (02)

Protege was used in the project. The thesis was released in 2005 and
is now partly outdated, of course, but some things get never out of
date.    (03)

-A.Styrman    (04)

Lainaus marc.l.walker@xxxxxx:    (05)

> Hi all,
>
> I was wondering if anyone might be able to help me by sharing some
> thoughts on and/or experiences of using ontological development
> methods. I am about to embark on the development of a business
> related ontology and would like to use an appropriate method to
> provide credibility and guidance to the development process. Also
> using a method would help the members of the team who are relatively
> new to this.
>
> The three methods I am considering are:
> * OTK method - On-to-Knowledge
> * Methontology
> * Ushold and King
>
> The source for each method comes from the publication by Springer -
> Ontological Engineering.
>
> The ontology will be developed in protégé v4 and will support
> software developers, vendors and the construction of enterprise
> knowledge bases. We also expect the ontology to evolve incrementally
> but I would like to have a recognised method to support the design
> and review activities.
>
> What would be useful would be any comments on the methods - I have
> not used any of the three - or suggestions to other methods to
> consider.
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Rgds
> Marc

Always forward towards the supreme maxim of scientific philosophizing    (07)