Re: [ontolog-forum] Event Ontology

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: ravi sharma <drravisharma@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2009 10:40:07 -0400
John

Thanks for the interpretation of consciousness in each of the three realms. I will reflect further and learn more about each viewpoint and hope to reconnect later on the ontological consequences of each of the three interpretations.

At wider metaphysical level the consciousness inherent in the smallest particle is its own "self knowledge" that is like an encapsulated knowledge that determines how that particle is to appear to behave such as be bound to electrons, single valence for a molecule, parity and spin and charge etc.

At higher life forms the consciousness is in Context i.e. topic based if you want to verify it externally. All expressions are through senses. But it is conceivable that a human is in coma but can not express externally but is still conscious as it knows it is alive with severe sensory limitations. These have lead some Indian scientists (neurosurgeons) to do experiments / attempts at slight clues that are external sense type responses, as doctors do for checking on us by examining our pupils and shining torch-light in to them to see if we are respondent. Now a days PET scans would be more sensitive indicators for such situations.

Coming to cognitive consciousness at communication levels we are after that aspect in ontologies that enables us to compare, communicate and share knowledge and experiences and there it is relevant to study the impact of John's response for three areas.

Again I tie these comments to earlier ones, for some of us any sensory response is sufficient, but if we could notionally put a weight on the consciousness expressivity related to understanding and knowledge and i realize that there is a spread there, we could someday score these to be at some level of understanding, I would not today easily qualify to the responding level in general relativity even though I taught a grad school course 40 years ago.

How cognition and ontology are related - is my next humble submission to John and others to respond?

P.S. Rich and Chris, Best regards and request that we do not stop expressing ourselves in spite of occasional mis-communication as we are working with multiple language and cultural backgrounds, Azamat would hopefully also agree?
--
Thanks.
Ravi