Re: [ontolog-forum] Semantic Systems

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Rich Cooper" <rich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 28 Jun 2009 09:13:54 -0700

Hi John, in

    http://www.jfsowa.com/pubs/cg4cs.pdf

    Conceptual Graphs for Representing Conceptual Structures

You state that:

For empirical subjects, however, conjunction and the existential quantifier are the only operators that can be observed directly, and the others must be inferred from indirect evidence. Therefore, Peirce’s choice of primitives combined with a mechanism for defining other operators seems appropriate.

Let's choose a name for this algorithm you've postulated.  I will call it "Sowa's Empirical Representation Algorithm", or SERA, in your honor.

Suppose E(I) is the set of experiences e[j] in which object I is embedded over its lifetime.  Elements e[j] can be simple or complex experiences, perhaps you could call them "situations" in FOL terminology, so they are structured by some sensing and recognition stuff outside the scope of SERA.  SERA will do I/O on this structured form, and its atoms are defined as lexically distinct signals in SERA that can be distinguished from other signals also in SERA.  You suggested CGIF, I was thinking JSON, and this might be a good way to weigh the cost and values of various approaches.

CGIF might be the way in which e[] get represented for string I/O, but however e[] is structured, the logic of the contents of e[] is to be stored relationally, fanned out over tables and columns as needed to interpret the contents of that singular experience.  It will be a complex set of paths, which I call an And-Or forest since everyone knows what that is.

It is also necessary to order the e[] within the And-Or forest based on a stable, repeatable associative storage and retrieval method - a primary key - that can be used to recognize e[k] that are "equivalent" to previously experienced e[j].  Like Selz before us, we need to identify what parts of the representation are variable and which are invariant.

If a sentence is one complete experience e[], I would like to match that sentence against a database of "similar" sentences and collect historic information about how things went in those prior e[] before I take action in the current e[].  The first phase of analysis is to organize those e[] into a traversable, identifiable history database.

Using the LGP, I can get parse information direct from the e[] and use that metalevel information to index each sentence, phrase, designator, verb, and so forth in relational, tabular forms.  Here is a sample parse from the LGP:

the quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog

++++Time 0.04 seconds (0.04 total)

Found 2 linkages (2 had no P.P. violations)

  Linkage 1, cost vector = (UNUSED=0 DIS=0 AND=0 LEN=18)

 +---------Ds---------+              +-------Js------+

 |     +-------A------+              |   +-----Ds----+

 |     |       +---A--+---Ss--+--MVp-+   |     +--A--+

 |     |       |      |       |      |   |     |     |

the quick.a brown.a fox.n jumped.v over the lazy.a dog.n

By collecting all the arc annotation terms (Ds,Js,A,Ss,MVp,...) and node annotation _expression_:

( jumped.v  fox.n (Ds(the,A(quick.a,A(brown.a,fox.n)))),

            dog.n (Js(over,Ds(the(A(lazy.z,dog.n)))))

)

This lispish _expression_ is nicely interpretable with efficient performance and representation choices, IMHO.  But every node and every arc and every terminal has to be stored in the e[] database as information that can be found again when the next e[] comes along to be compared in turn against its predecessors.

So the lispish form above is good for interpreting the sentence to produce structured logical storage long enough to interpret the statement.  Other views of the same information are also needed, and also available, so long as they are based on discriminants FOL predicates using only the LGP metalevel and terminal representations.

Which brings me to the question: Is there enough information in an LGP parser output to generate a conceptual graph view of the sentence?  One is syntax and the other is semantics, so they may simply be orthogonal processes that can't be rationally compared.  If not, what else is needed, and how practical is it to translate an arbitrary English sentence into CG notation automatically?

Thanks,

-Rich