Re: [ontolog-forum] Semantic Systems

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "John F. Sowa" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 27 Jun 2009 16:12:50 -0400
Rich,    (01)

I hit SEND too soon.  Following are further comments:    (02)

RC> I was looking at JSON after you suggested it in a previous
 > email.  It seems to be a very simple form of XML which reminds
 > me of Lisp days.    (03)

Of course.  People complained that LISP had too many parentheses.
So the W3C thought they had a better idea.  They replaced each "("
with <NamOfTag> and each ")" with </NameOfTag>.  That certainly
gets rid of the parentheses.  (Personally, I believe that their
idea stinks.)    (04)

RC> I also found some software components to read and write JSON texts.    (05)

That is not surprising.  As a matter of fact the acronym JSON is
"JavaScript Object Notation".  So it's the native notation for
JavaScript, and there are input and output translators for every
major programming language.    (06)

RC> The one drawback JSON seems to have is its requirement for a word
 > to mean the same thing (monosemy) throughout the text.    (07)

That is not surprising, since every other language has the same
requirement.  The usual way to handle that in languages since Algol
is to have nested contexts.  You can use the short name within
a context, but you use a qualified name like a.b.c.shortname
when you're outside the context.    (08)

RC> Or is there a better way to represent English parsed sentences?    (09)

Many other languages.  For example, conceptual graphs, which are
a version of logic that can be represented in CGIF format, which
is similar to CLIF.    (010)

RC> Your description of controlled English tools, along with examples
 > like Adrian's, seems to be the proper direction for AI IMHO.
 > Do you agree?    (011)

Yes, but not as a replacement for languages like LISP, Prolog, and CL.
I would use them at the interface with humans.    (012)