Re: [ontolog-forum] Semantic Systems

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "John F. Sowa" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 28 Jun 2009 22:55:13 -0400
Rich,    (01)

PH> Given a set S of individuals, the proposition extension P(S) is
 > the set of all propositions about a finite subset of S.
 > The universe UI is then required to contain all propositions
 > defined over itself...    (02)

RC> Wouldn't the corpus so described and the templates so abstracted,
 > be equivalent input forms to a semantic interpreter?    (03)

Pat Hayes was talking about the universe of all possible statements
that one might consider about a given set S of individuals.    (04)

As an analogy, consider a relational database, which consists of a
collection of tables, which can be described using only two operators:
existence and conjunction.  That DB could be considered a collection
of observation statements about Pat's set S of individuals.    (05)

Pat noted that the totality of all true FOL statements about those
individuals is countable.  Each of those statements can be shown
to be true by evaluating their truth values in terms of the tables
of the DB -- i.e., you can ask arbitrarily many SQL statements
about that DB which evaluate to true by an SQL query system.    (06)

I don't understand how that relates to your question.    (07)