Re: [ontolog-forum] Semantic Systems

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: rakscyn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, rakscyn@xxxxxxxxx
From: ra33@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2009 16:26:45 +1200 (NZST)
> <snip/>
>
> JS>Please give me any simple observation statement (i.e., one that
> you experienced *directly* without any intervening analysis).
> My claim is that any simple observation statement can be translated
> to FOL with only two logical operators:  existence and conjunction.
>
> JS>You can refute my claim with just one observation.  But any
> conclusions you may draw from multiple observation statements
> don't count.  They're the result of further analysis.
>
> JS>John
>
> I observe Paul going to the water fountain.  Later, I observe Wanda going to
> the same water fountain.  Since both occur in one work day, I consider that
> one observation for today.    (01)

Just an interjection:    (02)

How is "one work day" conceptually different from "one lifetime"?
Logically (if I might use that term) your definition of "one observation"
thus becomes a tarp that one could pull over an entire lifetime
(but that doesn't seem to make sense). I'm thinking (I think akin to John)
that one can only observe what is happening at the moment; another moment,
another observation (and thus anything you can't direct observe in the moment is
an inference).    (03)

Just a thought
    Rob

  The meaning of the word "same" is critical here;