Re: [ontolog-forum] Semantic Systems

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Rich Cooper" <rich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 28 Jun 2009 19:29:08 -0700

From your reference at: http://www.ihmc.us/users/phayes/IKL/SPEC/SPEC.html

Given a set S of individuals, the proposition extension P(S) is the set of all propositions about a finite subset of S. The universe UI is then required to contain all propositions defined over itself, i.e. to be a fixed point of the equation x=P(x) under the starting condition that x contain all referents of simple names, numerals and quoted strings in the vocabulary. This fixedpoint is well-defined and countable if the initial universe is, since every proposition can be regarded as composed (perhaps in many ways) from a sentential form F and a name mapping N from its vocabulary to the universe. Since sentential forms are finite, they have only finitely many constituents; hence, propositions only have finitely many. Thus for each proposition there is a finite set of things it is about, and a finite size for its corresponding sentential form, and so the propositional extension of a countable set is countable.

If a set of English sentential forms is complete and countable wrt a corpus, then if EVERY English sentence in the corpus is represented by some unification of AT LEAST ONE template, then the set of templates is representative of the corpus.

Wouldn't the corpus so described and the templates so abstracted, be equivalent input forms to a semantic interpreter?

-Rich

Sincerely,

Rich Cooper

EnglishLogicKernel.com