Re: [ontolog-forum] "Amy Winehouse is the apotheosis and nadir of post-m

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Richard H. McCullough" <rhm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 6 Jun 2009 07:51:49 -0700
see below
Dick McCullough
http://mkrmke.org
----- Original Message -----

> But what seems a key issue is the boundary between the text/manuscript
> in which it appears and the greater sphere of all of one's knowledge.
> >
> When the gap becomes a chasm (trying to use all of society's collected knowledge
> to interpret single sentences, the problem becomes too intractable (I submit).

It may require a lot of knowledge, but surely not all knowledge.
You need to identify and name the knowledge.  mKR provides one way to do that:
    at context { sentence; };
Just think of the context as a large footnote -- required for all sentences.

> Sincerely,
>     Rob Akscyn
> ********************
>

>> However, my suggestion revolved round the question of what knowledge one
>> brings (and might be expected to bring) to understanding a statement. For a
>> worked example, I return to "Amy Winehouse is the apotheosis and nadir of
>> post-modern femininity".
>>
>> Obviously, the formalization and evaluation of such a phrase is outside the
>> remit of this forum. However, the fact that there is an outside implies that
>> the scope needs demarkating in some way. Historically, this seems to have
>> been done by insisting on the properties of formal representation, that is,
>> what is considered to be an ontology. However, for external comprehension,
>> that boundary also needs to be articulated in terms of the relation between,
>> on one hand, formalisations which (confusingly) use natural language terms
>> as labels and on the other, natural language, which does not have a formal
>> semantics, and, in fact, thrives on ambigity, allusion and connotation.

I think John Sowa has the right idea -- use controlled natural language
mKR is my attempt to create an appropriate language.