Re: [ontolog-forum] "Amy Winehouse is the apotheosis and nadir of post-m

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: rakscyn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, rakscyn@xxxxxxxxx
From: ra33@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 7 Jun 2009 01:26:36 +1200 (NZST)
Hi All,
I'm new and so terribly out of context. But a thought about the nice letter
enclosed below:    (01)

The sentence    (02)

"The point being, as a sentance, one infers a context in which to interpret it."    (03)

(from the letter) would seem to be a good case in point, that is: that virtually
all sentences require considerable context in order for readers/listerners
to be able to reasonably interpret their meaning. [I acknowledge this is an
obvious point about which all of us would most likely agree]    (04)

But what seems a key issue is the boundary between the text/manuscript
in which it appears and the greater sphere of all of one's knowledge. As a
default, I think it is reasonable for most readers to expect authors to do much
of the heavy lifting in this regard and supply as much context as possible
(thereby making it more clear what they are really trying to say) and reduce
the 'exercise for the reader' to a modest amount. [Granted, cross-word puzzles
and other intellectual puzzles are deliberately coaxing us to think].    (05)

My belief is this is a critical issue, for if authors are not held to high
standards
for providing sufficient context, automated interpretation systems are just as
likely (and I say more likely) to thrash around as us humans might. For similar
reasons, publication reviewers (program committees, journal reviewers,...) often
go to great lengths to prod authors to write well enough to have their text be
somewhat self-sufficient.    (06)

So my bottom line is that without some 'threshold of quality' (yet to be
defined)
that provides some assurances the text is of an 'interpretable sort',
(because it provides sufficient context to support that) then we
simply drown in a host of outlier examples of the well-known kinds
("The spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak" --> "The wine is good, but the
meat is
rotten").    (07)

When the gap becomes a chasm (trying to use all of society's collected knowledge
to interpret single sentences, the problem becomes too intractable (I submit).    (08)

Sincerely,
     Rob Akscyn