Re: [ontolog-forum] "Amy Winehouse is the apotheosis and nadir of post-m

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Christopher Menzel <cmenzel@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 9 Jun 2009 10:36:26 -0500
On Jun 9, 2009, at 5:59 AM, Yuk Hui wrote:
> ... Halliday's approach to meaning instead of ontology is
> interesting, which is similar to what I am working on, though I
> didn't know his work until now. And this sounds to me more like a
> phenomenological approach, then we may see difference meanings,
> ranging from the Fregean Sinn und Bedeutung to Husserlian congnitive
> meaning pertaining to a horizontal ideality. And this is no more
> easier than analysing natural language indeed...but it proposes
> another logic which is not based on the objecitivity of things, but
> the objectivity of meanings.    (01)

I'm not sure from that brief description what that distinction is
supposed to be, but there is certainly a clear sense in which meanings
-- typically understood as truth conditions -- in standard logic are
"objective".  Indeed,  I can't really think of a sense in which they
are not.  So whatever is "other" about the other logic you mention,
it's got to be something other than that.    (02)

Chris Menzel    (03)