Re: [ontolog-forum] "Amy Winehouse is the apotheosis and nadir of post-m

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "John F. Sowa" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 09 Jun 2009 16:10:21 -0400
Chris and Yuk,    (01)

I hope to avoid an endless thread about meaning, truth, and
objectivity, but I'd like to mention a couple of references
to some related issues.    (02)

CM> ... there is certainly a clear sense in which meanings --
 > typically understood as truth conditions -- in standard logic
 > are "objective".    (03)

To bring in a Peircean point of view, CSP would agree that
meanings are objective, and he clearly stated that truth
conditions are the central focus of what he called 'logic proper'
and Morris Cohen renamed 'semantics'.    (04)

Peirce generalized the medieval trivium (grammar, logic, and
rhetoric) to a triad that Cohen renamed syntax, semantics, and
pragmatics.  Although Cohen oversimplified many of Peirce's
distinctions, his terminology is the most common today.    (05)

Whatever terms are used, Peirce would insist that meaning must
include both semantics (truth conditions) and pragmatics (purpose,
intentions, usage, speech acts, language games, rhetoric, etc.).    (06)

YH> I was referring to a critique by Husserl on his contemporary
 > logicians, and mainly Frege, I guess.    (07)

I'll avoid any further comments about details, but I'd like to
recommend the following book:    (08)

    Frederik Stjernfelt, _Diagrammatology:  An Investigation on
    the Borderlines of Phenomenology, Ontology, and Semiotics_,
    Synthese Library, Springer, 2007.    (09)

Among many important insights, Stjernfelt notes that Peirce and
Husserl, in their general attitudes and philosophical inclinations,
were much closer than either was to Frege or Russell.  However,
the terminology each of them used was so radically different that
they profoundly misunderstood one another.  In fact, each of them
accused the other of "psychologism".    (010)

Below is a copy of the blurb from the back of the book.    (011)

John Sowa
__________________________________________________________________    (012)

 From the back cover of _Diagrammatology_:    (013)

About this book    (014)

Diagrammatology investigates the role of diagrams for thought and
knowledge. Based on the general doctrine of diagrams in Charles Peirce's
mature work, Diagrammatology claims diagrams to constitute a centerpiece
of epistemology. The book reflects Peirce's work on the issue and
Husserl's contemporaneous doctrine of "categorial intuition" and charts
the many unnoticed similarities between Peircean semiotics and early
Husserlian phenomenology. Diagrams, on a Peircean account, allow for
observation and experimentation with ideal structures and objects and
thus furnish the access to the synthetic a priori of the regional and
formal ontology of the Husserlian tradition.    (015)

The second part of the book focuses on three regional branches of
semiotics: biosemiotics, picture analysis, and the theory of literature.
Based on diagrammatology, these domains appear as accessible for a
diagrammatological approach which leaves the traditional relativism and
culturalism of semiotics behind and hence constitutes a realist semiotics    (016)

Diagrams will never be the same. A fascinating and challenging tour
through phenomenology, biology, Peirce's theory of signs and Ingarden's
ontology of literature, all neatly tied together through the guiding
thread of the diagrammatical. A veritable tour de force.
Barry Smith, SUNY at Buffalo, U.S.A.    (017)

With his meticulous scholarship, Frederik Stjernfelt shows that Peirce
and Husserl were cultivating a broad and fertile common ground, which
was largely neglected by both the analytic and the continental
philosophers during the 20th century and which promises to be an
exciting area of research in the 21st.
John F. Sowa, Croton-on-Hudson, U.S.A.    (018)

Written for:    (019)

Philosophers interested in Peirce, Husserl, ontology, epistemology,
phenomenology, philosophy of science; biologists and philosophers
interested in biosemiotics; art historians interested in pictural
semiotics; literary scholars interested in literary theory; semioticians
from different backgrounds    (020)