Re: [ontolog-forum] Wolfram Alpha preview

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Azamat" <abdoul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 6 May 2009 21:54:57 +0300
JS: "The reason why Alpha is interesting to ontolog forum is that it uses a
collection of domain-specific ontologies.  However, they are not planning to
make those ontologies widely available. (At least, they have not said that
they are going to do so, but it's possible that they might release some of
them.)".    (01)

John, I doubt that there may be any ontology. According to SW, the four
pillars of his oncoming web service are:" a massive amount of data, that his
company has collected from various sources; a computational engine built on
top of Mathematica...; a system for understanding queries; and technology to
display results in interesting ways."
http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/04/28/wolfram-alpha-veil-lifted/    (02)

Again, its not a web search engine, but a QAS dealing with statistics and
all sort of statistical relations between two or more variables, such as
population growth rate, amount of junk food consumed, and birth rate or
mortality rate, as much as a new Google data-centric service got from the
Trendanalizer Co. Mostly expect all sort of charts visualizing binary or
ternary relations, involving distnces, prices, locations, populations,
dates, weather data, and many other statistics and quantitative data. The
both services are syntactic systems differing only in degree and scale, and
neither will bother if such correlations have any causal meanings. In fact,
we need a radically new kind of web search, common ontology-driven semantic
search engine, the ontological foundations of which we  are here looking
for.    (03)

Azamat Abdoullaev    (04)