Re: [ontolog-forum] Wolfram Alpha preview

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Randall R Schulz <rschulz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 6 May 2009 07:40:45 -0700

> Sometime later this month, they will have a big announcement and
> make it available to everyone.  But they still have to get their
> servers ready to accommodate questions from the whole world.    (01)

Is my intuition just off, or will Alpha's functions require a lot more
computation per question answered than a conventional Web search?    (02)

We were recently treated to an estimate (which I take with a grain of
salt) of how much carbon dioxide is released in generating the
electrical energy required to run the servers to perform a single
Google search. I wonder what is a credible number for Wolfram Alpha?    (03)

Perhaps more easily answered, what magnitude of hardware outlay is
required to serve a given volume of Alpha queries vs. ordinary Web
searches?    (04)

Lastly, should we expect "free" access to Alpha or will it be a
subscription service like, say, LexisNexis?    (05)

> John    (06)

Randall Schulz    (07)