Re: [ontolog-forum] syntax & semantics

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Azamat" <abdoul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2009 14:16:28 +0300

First Meaning, then Word; to shortly remind some critical semantic things for those who still in doubt.

Semantics precedes Syntax, any syntactic constructions, as well as Meaning precedes Truth.

There is no formula, mathematical, logical, scientific, or philosophical, having a meaning value by itself, without a semantic interpretation.

There is no formula, mathematical, logical, empirical, or philosophical, having a truth value by itself, without a semantic interpretation.

Real semantics is concerned with material signs, covering both the causally related natural signs of the physical world, the mental signs of the mind (thoughts, ideas and images) as well as the instinctive signs as the animal cries, starting from "baa" and ending with "yelping". See the nature of signs, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sign

No intelligent agent, human or machine, is capable to construct meaningful artificial signs (words, phrases, sentences, or text), independent of the semantic rules and assumptions, as denotation, designation and connotation; extension and intension, for constructs (concepts, propositions, or theories).

Azamat Abdoullaev