[ontolog-forum] Knowledge Diary

To: "John F. Sowa" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, KR-language <KR-language@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Richard H. McCullough" <rhm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 7 Apr 2009 06:33:03 -0700
<John Sowa>
But we have consistently complained about the vagueness of
what you call "context".    (01)

<Dick McCullough>
Here's a thought experiment to explain the nature of "context".    (02)

from <www-rdf-interest@xxxxxx> 15 December 2002
begin QUOTE
Here's my most fundamental view of context.
Imagine that I decide to record all my knowledge in a diary.
Every day, I write propositions in my diary, numbering them 1, 2, ....
Today, I record proposition 123456789; the context of proposition
123456789 is the list of propositions from 1 to 123456788.
It's that simple!    (03)

My KR language and KE program is my way of
recording, organizing & using a large list of propositions.
end QUOTE    (04)

Going from thought experiment back to real life,
my "context" is the entire contents of my brain.    (05)

To make practical use of this "context" in any particular case,
I can select only those propositions which are relevant to
the particular case, and I can use genus-differentia definitions
to summarize the results of many propositions.    (06)

Dick McCullough
http://mkrmke.org    (07)