Re: [ontolog-forum] [ontology-summit] UN/CEFACT Core Components and Onto

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: dmconnelly@xxxxxxxx, mrowell@xxxxxxxx
From: "Anders W.Tell" <opensource@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 07 Apr 2009 15:03:36 +0200
David,    (01)

This is an interesting question whether a piece of technology is
ontological or not. I have had the opportunity to both participate in
the development of CCTS and also performed research relating to
technologies that addresses the same B2B problem space.    (02)

An initial observation/assessment I would make is that CCTS is a
engineered "Data modeling technology, heavily constrained by XSD (XML
Schema) and EDIFACT data modeling tradition".    (03)

In comparison with other ontological technologies one can observe that
it has significantly less formalism (if any at all), less rigor, less
expressiveness, less researched foundation, fewer critical reviews, etc.
In comparison with technologies such as UML2, OWL, DL, CL,KIF, IKL etc.
one can easily see CCTS limitations and in some cases awkwardness. It
*looks* like them but the rigor is not there.    (04)

Another way of looking at CCTS is to look at the produced artifacts, the
components themselves. Do they possess excellent ontological qualities?
Could the use of a an alternative technology such as UML2 have produced
better components?    (05)

One could argue quite strongly that the libraries could significantly have
been improved using something like UML2. Some of the libraries contains
many examples of resuse (axioms) opportunities lost due to CCTS
constraints and the EDIFACT modeling tradition.    (06)

Since CCTS is not axiomatic one has to rely on textual definitions but
definitions such as below are all too common, or in some libraries the norm.    (07)

Binary relation or attribute:
class:                                 Accounting Entry
name of relation/attribute:  Value Date
related class/type:              Date Time
Definition: "The date, time, date time, or other date time value of the
value date of this accounting entry."    (08)

Another comparison is related to the use of a concrete upper, mid, lower
level, economical, logistical, etc. ontologies in an effort to create a
sound backbone for developed components. There is little (to nothing)
that indicates that such structure are being used, and CCTS itself doesn't
really allow
it at all.    (09)

Yet another observation relates to a key missing piece, the Contexts.
The context project has not yet been completed and seems to be based on
hierarchically organized values, i.e. structure with no apparent
semantics. I'm not aware that any of the last 20 years of context
logic research is being used. As a side note, the projects name is Unified