Re: [ontolog-forum] mKR programming language

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Godfrey Rust" <godfrey.rust@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2009 10:49:50 -0000
Dick

While I have a general idea, as a reader, of what you mean by:

at view = Ontolog Forum {
        I do say to you od {
                at time = 10 am yesterday {
                        I do walk from my house to Raley's done;
                };
        } done;
};

I can get that more easily, in an informal sense, if you just say "Yesterday I walked from my house to Raley's at 10am" in English.

My difficulty with using your MKr _expression_ for any computing (which I assume is the point, otherwise I prefer to stick to English) is not just that it lacks formal axioms but also any mechanism for establishing agreement over the intended contextual meaning or identity of the parts. How does my computer determine, for example:

- when was "yesterday"? (for example, the email sending date is not in your _expression_, but even if I include it, can I assume that the date of sending of the message is the time at which the statement contained in the message was made by you?)
- who is "I"?
- who is "you"?
- did you leave your house at 10am, or arrive at Raley's then? Is that time approximate or exact? In which time zone?
- where and what is your house? do you have only one?
- what do you mean by "walk"? Are you using this merely to differentiate from going on some vehicle, or from some other means of perambulation such as running, limping or crawling? If the latter, what criteria do you use for establishing the distinction between them?
- who or what is Raley?
- is it Raley's house you went to, or some other possession of Raley? Or is "Raley's" just the name of a place?

I'm OK with "from" and "to", though I suspect others in this forum may have problems with those. I won't venture into considering what it means for Ontolog Forum to be a "view".

Almost no-one in this forum knows what you really mean by that sentence because we are not familiar with your personal context(s). Following John Sowa's remarks on another thread, an _expression_ such as this one could be meaningful within a defined message structure where the work has been done either by the receiving party or by a standards body to agree upon the specific semantics and the identities being referenced within the domain of interest. In the "river" definition thread, we have seen that any term which on the face of it has a generally understandable meaning can be infinitely contextualized, and so axioms and formal agreement mechanisms (standards or otherwise) are essential for successful interoperability.

Godfrey

Godfrey Rust
Chief Data Architect
Rightscom/Ontologyx