Re: [ontolog-forum] International Alliance for Interoperability

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Toby Considine <Toby.Considine@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2009 21:03:59 -0400
IAI presents interesting models in cross-moanin ontologies.

1) The IFC's themselves are large pile of incompatible semantics / domains functions with defined interfaces (IDM) between adjacent ones. Structural concrete has little to say to steel framing to energy code compliance.

2) IFCs at the foundation of BIM, which seeks to create common understanding between Designers / Builders / Owners. Well 2 out of three aint bad. Owners still don't speak that way.

3) The ONTOLOG effort BuildingServicePerformance is striving to create a language about what service, not physical attibutes, are provided by buildigns that could be combined with performance metrics (energy) to define real effective operations. That bridging wffort is not here yet.

4) (3), if successfull, is the best ope for Smart Grids to really interact with smart buildings. Smart grids speak today almost always from the perspective of the Utility, and  not from that of the customer.

Plenty of Semantics. Plenty of Ontologies. Not much mutual understanding yet.

tc