Re: [ontolog-forum] Interoperability - its natural basis

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Richard H. McCullough" <rhm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2009 07:42:40 -0700
Ali

Thank you for this overview.
It gives me a much better understanding of many topics discussed in this forum.
It will help me to "speak the language" in my future emails.

Rich McCullough

Ali Hashemi

To extend Chris' points a bit as well, I'd like to take this opportunity to clarify a few notions.

The text below is directly related to the conversation I've been having mainly with Matthew West in the 3D-4D thread, some of the questions that Rich McCullough has recently alluded to and the email which started this thread.

I've noticed that on this forum, there might not be a clear understanding of what a logical (Tarski) model is, how exactly such models are connected to the underlying axioms and perhaps most importantly, why one should care (how the relation may be usefully exploited).

Similarly, I'm not sure the value of representation theorems and the different possible types of mappings are well appreciated. I apologize in advance if all this stuff is obvious, but it's useful to get it out and perhaps to eventually migrate this discussion to the wiki after some criticism / feedback.

-----
*Models*
*Representation Theorems*
*Logical "Structures"*
*Axioms!*
----

Hope the above wasn't too pedantic and communicates to readers on this list both what is meant by some of the terminology used in more formal ontologies and how they are applicable to real world problems.

Cheers,

Ali