Re: [ontolog-forum] International Alliance for Interoperability

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Joel Bender <jjb5@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2009 16:34:00 -0400
Deborah wrote:    (01)

 > The problem is there is no consensus on which terminology is right,
 > or even "better".    (02)

There won't be a consensus until the number of designed-by-commitee
publications that are "pay to play" goes down, and tool builders stop
trying to make a profit from giving access to them.    (03)

At the risk of oversimplifying the problem, if I have to pay $500 to
figure out what somebody else's idea of a door is, I'm going to make a
door good enough for me.    (04)

Here is a more concrete example: I need to say that the temperature of
water coming out of the pipe is 54 degrees C.  I can find this [1] and
this [2], they are both "right", how is someone supposed to know which
one is "better"?  As an information systems designer, I'm trying *not*
to do what many XML markup designs do, put value="54&deg;C".    (05)

 > The IFD which will help with this may be years away, ideally there
 > should be a way to enable simple communications about a limited set
 > of terms before that.    (06)

It took 13 years to develop the BACnet standard within ASHRAE, simply
because it was a committee project that was swamped with vendors hell
bent on making /their/ terminology and /their/ encoding *the standard*.
  Then some more battles to make it an ANSI standard, and now as an ISO
standard the war rages on.    (07)

John wrote:    (08)

 > Before we worry about interoperability between the *computers* used
 > by the building managers and the fire department, we have to
 > coordinate the terminology used by *people* who actually work with
 > and live in those buildings.    (09)

I think understand what you're saying, but this is a poor example.  The
computers used by building managers and the fire department already
interoperate (something bad happened, send the trucks), and the people
that work and live in them are completely clueless as to how, and
couldn't care less.    (010)

Joel
[1]
<http://www.s-ten.net/sites/s-ten.net/files/images/QuantityAndUnitSchema.png>