Re: [ontolog-forum] International Alliance for Interoperability

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Howard Mason <hgmason@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2009 16:09:57 +0000
Just to amplify the notes on ISO 10303 - STEP, it should be noted that there is an AP225 which defines building components and  227 which defines pipework for process plants, ships and other such equivalent piping structures.

There is also a new AP 241 under development in conjunction with buildSMART which covers building lifecycle.

It should be noted that whetehr one addresses this complex problem through monolithic or modular STEP APs, or the simpler 15926 model with 40-50 thousand reference data classes, this issue of configuration management is critical, especially when one considers the requirements for long-term data retention - applies to aircraft and ships just like buildings.

Howard Mason
BAE Systems plc
Chair ISO TC 184/SC 4