Re: [ontolog-forum] standard ontology

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Patrick Cassidy" <pat@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2009 23:01:30 -0500

Azamat,

   Re:

The proposal sounds sensible in many respects.

Ø  But the real fact is that the project of Standard Ontology is not only a historically unique scientific and engineering enterprise, but also too extensive, both in its scale of knowledge, funding stakeholders and research participants. Thus it will be expensive,

   The Foundation Ontology that I think will serve adequately for semantic interoperability does not have to have representations of many specialized things in it, it only needs representations of the fundamental concepts that will allow logical descriptions of the specialized things.  Therefore it will not be overly large, and may be under 10,000 elements.  If viewed as a “domain ontology”, its domain is to *translate* among differing ontological representations.

   The estimated cost, $30M, may be low, but that is not because of the size of the ontology required, but the number of participants needed to be sure that the FO can translate among the alternative representations that the participants may want for their local use.  In addition, it is intended that certain utilities and applications be created as part of the project, and that programming effort may take up more than half of the funding.

   The cost figure would be revised after a group of potential participants had discussed the project to flesh out details.

[[AA] PS: In fact, the most fundamental things have been achieved  without a significant commitment of money; take the most extensive knowledge project, Wikipedia, bare enthusiasm to kick off and 6m operating costs yearly.

Actually, Wikipedia was started by an infusion of money from its founder, though I am not sure how much that was,  and although it is a largely volunteer project, it does, as you note, have an annual budget of nontrivial size.  I would hope that eventually, extensions to the FO would be created that specify Wikipedia-like knowledge in terms of the FO, but they might be maintained in a distributed collections of local sites.

Pat

Patrick Cassidy

MICRA, Inc.

908-561-3416