Re: [ontolog-forum] OpenCyc OWL Files

To: ian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Pat Hayes <phayes@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2009 16:08:12 -0600

On Feb 18, 2009, at 12:07 PM, Ian Bailey wrote:    (01)

> Hi,
>
> As part of an ontology-based reference data demonstrator I'm working
> on, I
> decided to go look what was out there for free, or at least under
> creative
> commons. I downloaded the OpenCyc OWL file and loaded it into my OWL
> editor
> (all 124MB of it!).    (02)

Bear in mind that OWL isn't expressive enough to capture more than a
fraction of what is in OpenCyc.    (03)

> I seem to be finding lots of orphan classes there - i.e. ones that are
> sitting right at the top of the sub-super hierarchy. When I go look
> in the
> OWL file itself, these classes seem to be in the file twice - once
> with
> their sub-super relationship and once without.    (04)

I don't know for sure, but that sounds like an artifact of the
translate-to-OWL process. It may be because OWL-DL does not allow a
class to have properties or be in other classes; one common work-
around is to have two "copies" of a class, one being the DL class and
the other being a DL individual, which then cannot take part in DL
subclass relationships. Check to see that the "without" entities
really are OWL classes: if not, the above is likely correct.    (05)

> As the file is so big, I can't be sure of what the problem is - it
> may well
> be my OWL Editor struggling with such a large file.    (06)

that too. :-)    (07)

Sorry I can't help more.    (08)

Pat H    (09)

phayesAT-SIGNihmc.us       http://www.ihmc.us/users/phayes    (011)