Re: [ontolog-forum] Next steps in using ontologies as standards

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Ron Wheeler <rwheeler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2009 13:53:30 -0500
paola.dimaio@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
> hi Ron
>
> First of all, thanks for doing the wiki thing, and hopefully this will
> encourage others
>
>     That is not the right way to use the wiki.
>

> There is more than one right way to do things, especially more than
> way to use tools.
>  'post to page' scripts following given rule sets allow to capture as
> much context as possible in an automated way, and then to develop
> additional pages to collate consensus if and when we have 'volunteers'.
I would really discourage the use of a wiki to capture the back and
forth that goes on here.
There are forum archives for that or someone can start a blog that takes
automatic posting    (01)

> Its great that you are capturing some things that catch your
> attention, but

This is the good part. I obviously have left some erroneous impressions.
> a) you are not collecting everything, therefore your effort will
> always be partial
I am only collecting and organizing the stuff that I understand and
think is worth keeping
> b) we cannot rely on one person alone to populate the wiki of such a
> prolific community
Absolutely. Everyone should be involved in doing this. Specially the
people who know what they are talking about. It is not supposed to be a
one person project. Certainly not mine.
> c) we cannot expect the good people to share their knowledge to take
> time post it to wiki as well, as this may, or may not happen
I do not expect everyone to contribute. There are some people who just
like to argue and do not particularly care if the project objectives are
being served by the argument. I sometimes wish that they would just move
on to a pub, have another pint and be done with it.
However, sometimes the "I am smarter that you" arguments do uncover some
element worth knowing.    (02)

> We develop advanced functions to support and facilitate the way people
> use tools, including wikis, which is likely to take a variety of forms

I hope that everyone who discovers or uncovers some idea that is worth
preserving, takes the time to add it to the wiki.
The nice thing about a collaborative effort is that each person's
contribution counts in the final product. But in this case, only if it
gets included in the final recommendation for a future course of action.    (03)

I thought that we were supposed to be developing strategies for
ontological repositories and tools.
Has this become the room where the children are sent so that the adults
can get some serious work done?    (04)