Re: [ontolog-forum] Next steps in using ontologies as standards

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: paola.dimaio@xxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2009 01:28:33 +0700
hi Ron

First of all, thanks for doing the wiki thing, and hopefully this will encourage others

That is not the right way to use the wiki.

There is more than one right way to do things, especially more than way to use tools.
 'post to page' scripts following given rule sets allow to capture as much context as possible in an automated way, and then to develop additional pages to collate consensus if and when we have 'volunteers'.

Its great that you are capturing some things that catch your attention, but

a) you are not collecting everything, therefore your effort will always be partial
b) we cannot rely on one person alone to populate the wiki of such a prolific community
c) we cannot expect the good people to share their knowledge to take time post it to wiki as well, as this may, or may not happen

We develop advanced functions to support and facilitate the way people use tools, including wikis, which is likely to take a variety of forms

PDM

That is a blog.

A wiki is digested ideas not a running gunfight.

It has topics and links between topics.

It records consensus. It provides a place to build up the ideas from
many discussions into a coherent point of view that reflects the output
from the discussion. If there are alternative views they should be
documented separately as a coherent set of ideas.
Dissenting ideas should be recorded and eventually eliminated as their
support wanes or incorporated into the final result as possible
alternative approaches that could be adopted if we ever get to a set of
actionable tasks.

Ron

paola.dimaio@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
> I was just thinking this too
>
> it is possible to post to wiki, the problem is that the order of the
> posts is going to be as messy as the
> post archive
> a possible solution would be
> it should be possible to write a script so that
>
> a) write a script so that posts can be linked automatically to the
> poster profile
> b) have an automated tagging system, that extracts keywords and
> transforms them into metatags, which can be used to build up different
> indices
>
> some tools/environments already offer these capabilities, others may
> need to be scripted
>
> (and then its going to be the ontological song)

> On Mon, Jan 26, 2009 at 2:57 PM, John F. Sowa <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx
> <mailto:sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:
>
>     I wish that it could be done just by adding another
>     line to the cc or bcc lists.
>
>     John
>

> --
> Paola Di Maio
> **********************************
> Burning Down the House
> http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Ozc70JPGRMQ
>
> The times are achanging
> http://www.bobdylan.com/#/songs/times-they-are-changin
>
> Take me to the river
> http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=QmEBlrRRMBQ
>
> Forthcoming
>
> i-Semantics 2009, 2 - 4 September 2009, Graz, Austria.
> www.i-semantics.tugraz.at <http://www.i-semantics.tugraz.at>
>
> SEMAPRO 2009, Malta
> http://www.iaria.org/conferences2009/RegistrationSEMAPRO09.html
>

> ISD Lab