Re: [ontolog-forum] Next steps in using ontologies as standards

To: <ian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: just@xxxxxxx
From: "Azamat" <abdoul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2009 21:22:20 +0200
Ian,
The referential model of meaning had its use when semantics was in the stage
of conception. Today, the extensional models are largely irrelevant to the
challenges of the complex world.    (01)

There is a hot topic in neuroscience called "mind reading" with fMRI, aiming
to use neuroimaging techniques to read the brain activation patterns by
detecting blood flow in the brain areas. Recently, it was widely published
that the technique of neural information processing affords reading your
thoughts and intentions by means of scanners:
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/12/31/60minutes/main4694713_page2.shtml.
Such a poor alchemy comes from two main reasons: bad ontology and defective
semantics.
Good ontology posits that there are at least three worlds: the physical
world of material entities (as living organisms with brain processes); the
mental world of experiences as thought processes; the meaningful world of
the thought contents (institutions, languages, works of arts, social norms,
laws, etc.). Semantically, we have two related but distinct realms here, the
universe of extension and denotation and reference (res extensa) and the
universe of intension and connotation. Neglecting or mixing the worlds, as
brain processes with cognitive operations as thought experience (subjective
meaning, res cogitans), and the thought processes with the thought's
contents (objective meanings), can lead you to all sorts of pseudoscience
and fictitious creations, as Just's "thought identification technology",
just exciting for national security agencies and laymen.    (02)

Azamat Abdoullaev    (03)