Re: [ontolog-forum] Wittgenstein and the pictures

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Rick Murphy <rick@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2008 21:27:52 -0400
Chris & All:    (01)

I'm really glad this topic came up again. I had raised a few issue that
were never fully resolved and I hope you could help me better understand
your approach to differentiating truth and meaning.    (02)

You may recall this past thread ...    (03)

http://ontolog.cim3.net/forum/ontolog-forum/2008-05/msg00224.html    (04)

Christopher Menzel wrote:
> On Jul 30, 2008, at 11:38 AM, Len Yabloko wrote:
>> Chris,
>>
>> Firstly due to the lack of any viable alternative theory of meaning
>> and information (please correct me if I am wrong).
>
 > <snip, snip some good stuff here>
> the last 50 years.  The literature on is vast, indeed overwhelmingly
> so.  Somewhat randomly and off the top of my head: There is, to begin
> with, so-called "Tarskian" semantics for first-order predicate logic
> and the influential Davidsonian project of using that semantics as a
> basis for a theory of meaning.    (05)

My understanding is that Tarski presents a "Semantic Conception of
Truth" and that's very different than meaning. I am led to belive this
because Tarski differentiates between truth and meaning in his paper of
the same name as does Pat Hayes in the RDF semantics.    (06)

I have enjoyed reading the following Scott Soames paper which refutes
the Davidsonian program's attempts to derive a theory of meaning from a
theory of truth.    (07)

http://www-rcf.usc.edu/~soames/forthcoming_papers/Truth_and_Meaning.pdf    (08)

The Soames paper then concludes that meaning is relational and requires
an interpretant.    (09)

I wonder what other folks think.    (010)

<more snips of other great stuff, many thanks Chris ...>    (011)