Re: [ontolog-forum] what is open ontology?

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Pat Hayes" <phayes@xxxxxxx>
From: "Christopher Spottiswoode" <cms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2008 20:25:24 +0200
Pat,    (01)

You are spot-on with this:    (02)

> So far, most of the application of ontologies I have seen has
> more to do with interoperation and intercommunication than with
> the driving of proprietary applications. Businesses which want
> to communicate with their customers might well want to publish
> an ontology intended to be used to facilitate this
> communication.    (03)

And that is further background to my earlier post in this thread,
now at
http://ontolog.cim3.net/forum/ontolog-forum/2008-04/msg00093.html,
for though in a MACK environment "the application of ontologies"
fully addresses "the driving of proprietary applications" too, it
makes a comparable distinction on the desired-openness side.    (04)

But MACK (with its picture hopefully slightly less hazy after my
recent 4th instalment) is structured to fine-tune that distinction
between private and public.  The degree of openness which
businesses choose to apply is bound to be dynamic as
better-supported product- and process-diversification enables a
closer supplier-customer relationship.    (05)

That, of course, is where MACK's facilities for exploring and
building on finer layering of abstraction levels (and hence of
other functional levels) will really enter the picture and have an
enormous impact, cultivating better negotiated supplier-customer
communication levels and thereby also improving both sides'
understanding of their own situations with their problems and
opportunities.  That will feed back directly into the
re-engineering of internal systems on both sides of the market,
and the associated IT applications will follow, apparently almost
by magic.  Nothing facile or necessarily unduly simplistic, all
industrial-strength, "helping people simplify complexity
together."    (06)

You will see that picture taking shape in growing detail in the
next few instalments of "MACK basics".    (07)

Christopher    (08)