Re: [ontolog-forum] what is open ontology?

To: "John F. Sowa" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Pat Hayes <phayes@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2008 15:30:31 -0500
At 2:18 PM -0400 4/25/08, John F. Sowa wrote:
>Pat,
>
>I would claim that an ontology could be open in the
>same sense that programs can be open.
>
>PH> I don't think it makes sense to refer to an ontology
>  > as being open (or not).
>
>Although an ontology is not likely to be compiled to
>executable machine code, it can be converted to internal
>representations that are humanly unreadable.  For example,
>some would regard OWL as having that property.    (01)

Which is clearly ridiculous. I can read it, for sure.    (02)

>  But OWL can
>be translated back to more readable notations, if desired.
>
>However, anyone who wanted to keep the knowledge representation
>proprietary -- including the ontology, axioms, etc. -- could
>certainly do so by compiling them to some proprietary form.    (03)

How? You are saying that an ontology can be
useable as an ontology but cannot be reverse
engineered to be humanly readable? How then can
it be used? I can reconstruct it simply by
inputting it to a reasoner and asking it to
output all sentences with a trivial derivation.    (04)

>There could be many reasons for doing such a compilation.
>RDF and OWL, for example, are extremely verbose, and many
>systems compile them to more efficient forms for processing.    (05)

Perhaps they do (though RDF isn't particularly
verbose, in fact) , but this is like saying that
one can compile source code. But unless all users
of the OOR are using the same processor,
publishing the opaque compiled form isn't going
to be any use; and if you publish anything else,
you are effectively exposing the source.    (06)

>If those internal forms are kept proprietary, the effect
>would be to keep the ontology as "closed" as any program.    (07)

Except that the source is freely available in the OOR, right?    (08)

Pat    (09)

>John

IHMC            (850)434 8903 or (650)494 3973   home
40 South Alcaniz St.    (850)202 4416   office
http://www.ihmc.us/users/phayes      phayesAT-SIGNihmc.us
http://www.flickr.com/pathayes/collections    (011)