Re: [ontolog-forum] what is open ontology?

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Pat Hayes" <phayes@xxxxxxx>
From: "Sharma, Ravi" <Ravi.Sharma@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2008 03:25:38 -0600
John    (01)

1. Is it difficult to reverse engineer because there are many
possibilities in C=>OWL translation (non-unique and also un-symmetric
mapping) for the same statement compiled originally by OWL=>C
translator?
2. Is it true that there is unique (1:1) way of OWL=>C or just that we
know the particular translation because we chose it?
3. If there is no statement by statement translation or reverse
engineering possible, perhaps we should use semantic awareness concepts
and reverse engineer by functional equivalence to deliver the same
functionality in OWL that we have in the originally translated code
(logical sub divisions that make functional sense)? As we are struggling
with triples and higher order relationships and to define agreeable
rules among relationships among Things, we have some ways to go before
we can develop such aware software. I have participated in a team that
has reverse engineered ERP by functional and services groupings rather
by code. In this case specific language choice becomes User's choice
(e.g.  Cobol, C, Java, or a mix with COTS but delivering the same
functional equivalence).    (02)

Thanks.
Ravi    (03)

(Dr. Ravi Sharma) Senior Enterprise Architect    (04)

Vangent, Inc. Technology Excellence Center (TEC)    (05)

8618 Westwood Center Drive, Suite 310, Vienna VA 22182
(o) 703-827-0638, (c) 313-204-1740 www.vangent.com    (06)

Professional viewpoints do not necessarily imply organizational
endorsement.    (07)