Re: [ontolog-forum] What words mean

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: lenya@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2008 22:27:08 +0000
Hi All,     (01)

As I follow this discussion for a while now I feel almost like I am about to
interupt a private conversation. But I am going to do that anyway! I am an
engineer - not a scientist or phylosopher, but I am very interested in this
subject. Here are my 50 cents, anyway:    (02)

It appears to me that this discussion started from the need to have a common
ground that is more solid than one afforded by established processes. It is
clear from everything said so far that there is no way to establish a universal
ground, even when all efforts are made to remove ambiguities, such as the case
with mathematics. Perhaps it is what Pifagor (or was it someone else?) meant
when he said something like "... give me a ground and I will overturn the
World". SO what we should be looking for is at best a temporary grounding of
our ideas and efforts. This is what Kuhn's paradigm is all about.
So the question should be (correct me if I am wrong): what are the mechanisms
available to us for better grounding. Now I really sound like an engineer.
I this was a question discussed here all along, then I appollogize for stating
the obvious.     (03)

Clearly - ontology and language are parts of any such mechanism, and the logic
must make it parts fit and do the work, which in my mind is to server some
purpose. Was it Wittgenstein who said that language is the use? I found this
book about Wittgenstein with the name pointing in the same direction
"Language and Information: ?Back to the Rough Ground!"
http://www.springerlink.com/content/tfc9cblgnlwndygl/    (04)