Re: [ontolog-forum] What words mean

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Rob Freeman" <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2008 10:16:35 +0800
Hi Lenya,    (01)

I think the more "solid ground" you seek is underneath the problem as
it is currently seen, so to speak.    (02)

In a putative thread posted on Feb 11, "Knowledge as perspective" I
sketched what I think should happen:    (03)

"To try and be a little concrete for a minute, what this means in terms
of the Web is that the Web itself (by virtue of its randomness) is the
most compact representation of the knowledge it contains. We should
keep the Web and expand out the knowledge it contains as different
combinations of its parts, as we need them.    (04)

In fact, of course, that is what the most successful "knowledge
applications" of our day, search engines, do already.    (05)

With a little theory to back it up, we could do better. Search engines
today find only very crude patterns in text. They find the patterns
identified by sets of words, but there is no structure to them.    (06)

We have ways of finding structure, but we've been confused because the
structure we find is always partial.    (07)

Our mistake has been to focus on the structure itself, rather than the
process of finding it. Understand we can only expect partial
structure, that this is the sign of a more powerful system, and it
shouldn't be too difficult to find the structure relevant to any given
problem, when we need it."    (08)

-Rob    (09)