Re: [ontolog-forum] What words mean

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Rob Freeman" <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2008 22:19:58 +0800
Hi Ravi,    (01)

On Thu, Feb 14, 2008 at 12:22 PM, Sharma, Ravi <Ravi.Sharma@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>  In my professional thinking, science - commonly defined as search for
>  truth - is only local as we learn and discover that reality is ever
>  changing, both as phenomena and also as metaphysics and on top of that
>  also due to new math, stat and other advances that help you refine
>  observations.    (02)

Yes, I think it is "local". And not just because things are always
changing. I think there is an aspect of perspective to "meaning", and
by the nature of perspective things cannot be seen from all ways at
once.    (03)

>  On top of that what we think two scientists have "Agreed-On" are only
>  "partially intersecting spheres" as the understanding of phenomena or
>  objects in their respective perceived worlds are not necessarily totally
>  congruent?    (04)

I agree. Also because their experiences themselves will differ. (I'm
not sure if you're saying this too.)    (05)

The extent to which two people can understand each other will in very
large extent be limited to the extent they share common experiences.    (06)

I think "meaning" is an organization of experience, a kind of
perspective, and if you don't have the same experiences, you can't
organize them the same way.    (07)

Kuhn calls this set of common experiences (perhaps even more than a
given perspective of it) a "paradigm".    (08)

>  Please also refer to my earlier observations on PICTURE THEORY OF THEORY
>  MEANING and Late Prof. Norwood Hanson of Yale.    (09)

On the basis of a quick google Hanson's ideas looks good. Thanks for that.    (010)

Note also Wittgenstein had a picture theory of meaning. He arrived at
it when he was thinking about the nature of logic.    (011)

At a quick gloss, from memory: Russell was elaborating maths in terms
of logic, and Wittgenstein was supposed to figure out what logic was.
Wittgenstein turned it around and decided there was lots of stuff that
logic didn't cover, and meaning was basically pictures.    (012)

-Rob    (013)