Re: [ontolog-forum] ConferenceCall 2008 02 14 follow-up: Use of Upper On

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Deborah MacPherson" <debmacp@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2008 17:34:47 -0500
Hi Michelle Raymond,    (01)

I will be serving on the NBIMS Models and Implementation Guidance
(MIG) Task Team and curious to hear your suggestions. The task team
charge is here
<www.facilityinformationcouncil.org/bim/pdfs/Models_TT_Charge.pdf>
Important focus includes exchange requirements and the certification
of software.    (02)

Please explain more how you see an upper ontology helping to hold it
all together and what to look out for along the way. Many NBIMS
challenges have to do with spatial and measurement problems and
linking proprietary terms to standard language presented in NBIMS. My
assumption is the careful development and implementation of the
"standard language presented in NBIMS" is what will actually get the
whole system to work together.    (03)

Currently, the IFDLibrary <http://www.ifd-library.org/> is a
terminology library system based on an ISO standard 12006-3 that has
the potential, in conjunction with OmniClass
<http://www.omniclass.org/> to establish a controlled vocabulary for
the building industry.  However, the IFDLibrary is incomplete at this
time and OmniClass is only one of several classification systems
actively used.    (04)

Thank you for your perspective, I'm sure it will help to clarify this
complex situation.    (05)

Deborah MacPherson    (06)