Re: [ontolog-forum] Common Logic is now an International Standard

To: Duane Nickull <dnickull@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Pat Hayes <phayes@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 6 Oct 2007 09:12:02 -0500
>Peter:
>
>At risk of sounding like a compete geek (hard to deny if I am answering
>email at 10:00 PM Friday night), could you please summarize what this work
>is?    (01)

Its a framework for defining logics, and a few
useful logics pre-defined in the framework. The
idea being that if you do describe your logic in
this way, then it can be mechanically translated
into any other logic also described this way, and
they will have the same formal meaning. The logic
in question is a very 'liberal' form of
first-order logic, one that has a lot of
unnecessary restrictions removed, so its can be
used more ways that a more conventional logical
notation.    (02)

Pat Hayes    (03)

>Completing work is great.  My band just finished practice tonight.  Our
>first 4 final tracks are available for free download at
>http://www.myspace.com/22ndcentury
>
>I would be honored if anyone on this list downloaded and played them!  The
>music industry is changing and needs a new business model.  Would love to
>hear ideas but also the ontology of music is something quite near to me for
>http://www.mix2r.com.
>
>Dunae
>

>On 10/5/07 9:36 PM, "Peter Yim" <peter.yim@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>>  "IS" ... Hurray!
>>
>>  Congratulations to everyone who has been involved in making this happen!
>>
>>  Sincerely.  =ppy
>>  --
>>

>>  On 10/5/07, John F. Sowa <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>>  Harry Delugach reported that Common Logic has finally been published
>>>  as an official International Standard.  That means we can replace
>>>  FDIS (Final Draft International Standard) with the more prestigious
>>>  acronym IS.
>>>
>>>  There are some minor changes from the FDIS, but they're primarily
>>>  editorial.  For the FDIS and earlier discussions, see
>>>
>>>      http://www.common-logic.org
>>>
>>>  And we can thank Harry for taking care of all the details of
>>>  editing the many drafts and getting them through the standards
>>>  process.
>>>
>>>  John Sowa
>>>  ______________________________________________________________________
>>>
>>>  Official citation:
>>>
>>>      ISO/IEC 24707:2007 - Information technology - Common Logic (CL) -
>>>      A framework for a family of logic-based languages,"  Geneva,
>>>      Switzerland:  International Organisation for Standardisation, 2007.

>--
>"Speaking only for myself"
>Blog - http://technoracle.blogspot.com
>Community Music - http://www.mix2r.com
>My Band - http://www.myspace.com/22ndcentury
>MAX 2007 - http://technoracle.blogspot.com/2007/07/adobe-max-2007.html

IHMC            (850)434 8903 or (650)494 3973   home
40 South Alcaniz St.    (850)202 4416   office
phayesAT-SIGNihmc.us       http://www.ihmc.us/users/phayes    (05)