Re: [ontolog-forum] Common Logic is now an International Standard

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Peter Yim" <peter.yim@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 6 Oct 2007 06:22:39 -0700
Good for you, Duane! ...    (01)

> Common Logic is now an International Standard ... "IS" ... Hurray!    (02)

>> [DN] could you please summarize what this work is?    (03)

The ISO "IS" status, signifies that Common Logic (CL) an
"International Standard" now )and no longer a Draft.)    (04)

In short, as John included in his post that started this thread, the
official citation states:    (05)

   ISO/IEC 24707:2007 - Information technology - Common Logic (CL) -
   A framework for a family of logic-based languages,"  Geneva,
   Switzerland:  International Organisation for Standardisation, 2007.    (06)

and borrowing from presentations available at the working group's website,    (07)

   "the Common Logic (CL) Standard specifies languages by means of an
abstract syntax for Standard first-order languages and KIF (Knowledge
Interchage Format) languages. ... with the purpose of guaranteeing
that content exchanged between CL-conformant languages has the same
semantics in each language.of CL.    (08)

Personally, I see this as the most foundational standardization
effort, to date, in the domain near and dear to this community, as it
enables data/information/knowledge interoperability (a la "semantic
interoperability") by enabling interoperability among logical
representations in the most expressive form.    (09)

Besides Harry Delugach. editor of the CL spec, whom John has already
mentioned, the CL (and its predecessor SCL, Simplified Common Logic)
working group members, include familiar names of Ontolog members like
Pat Hayes, Chris Menzel, John Sowa, Murray Altheim, Elisa Kendall,
Bill Andersen, Michael Gruninger, et al.    (010)

Please refer to more details at: http://www.common-logic.org/    (011)

Related talks previously given at the Ontolog Forum include:    (012)

 Chris Menzel's SCL talk - see:
http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?ConferenceCall_2004_11_04  ...
and,    (013)

 Pat Hayes' CL / IKL talk - see:
http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?ConferenceCall_2006_10_26    (014)

To the CL folks ... congratulations again! (Please jumps in to
elaborate, or if I inadvertently misrepresented you guys in any way.)    (015)

Regards.  =ppy
--    (016)