Re: [ontolog-forum] Current Semantic Web Layer pizza (was ckae)

To: "Obrst, Leo J." <lobrst@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Pat Hayes <phayes@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2007 15:37:38 -0500
>This sounds like John Cage's 4'33", and is legitimate. I "heard" it at
>Oberlin College in the late 60s. Actually it can be played with any set
>of instruments: very versatile.    (01)

As another slightly different example, I once
heard Oliver Sacks talking about his book 'Seeing
Voices', at which were present several
congenitally deaf people who were native ASL
signers, and I asked whether it was possible to
sing in ASL. One of them said that not only was
it possible, but she was in fact a member of her
church's choir, which regularly 'sang' hymns in
front of the (all-deaf) congregation. So
something of music can, it seems, be entirely
divorced from any kind of acoustic modality.    (02)

Pat    (03)

>http://www.naxos.com/composerinfo/165.htm.
>http://www.andante.com/article/article.cfm?id=16636
>Dr. Leo Obrst       The MITRE Corporation, Information Semantics
>lobrst@xxxxxxxxx    Information Discovery & Understanding, Command and
>Control Center
>Voice: 703-983-6770 7515 Colshire Drive, M/S H305
>Fax: 703-983-1379   McLean, VA 22102-7508, USA

IHMC            (850)434 8903 or (650)494 3973   home
40 South Alcaniz St.    (850)202 4416   office
phayesAT-SIGNihmc.us       http://www.ihmc.us/users/phayes    (05)