Re: [ontolog-forum] Current Semantic Web Layer pizza (was ckae)

To: Mills Davis <lmd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Pat Hayes <phayes@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2007 11:40:21 -0500
>Gary,
>
>I think this paper aims to articulate knowledge modeling needs of
>scholars studying cultures and the history of ideas.
...    (01)

>.... todays semantic web standards do not provide an adequate
>foundation for the sorts of cultural researches, and knowledge-based
>computing that this author and other scholars envision, and are
>engaged in already.    (02)

Well, that is a strong claim. Can you say more about what exactly is
lacking in the current standards, that makes them inadequate? OWL-DL
is certainly limited in expressivity in various ways, but suppose we
cast the standards net widely enough to encompass Common Logic, i.e.
first-order logic: what is lacking in this which makes it an
inadequate foundation for the work these scholars are engaged in?
What kinds of extension would you envision might provide for a better
foundation?    (03)

Pat
IHMC            (850)434 8903 or (650)494 3973   home
40 South Alcaniz St.    (850)202 4416   office
phayesAT-SIGNihmc.us       http://www.ihmc.us/users/phayes    (04)