Re: [ontolog-forum] Model or Reality (was: Current Semantic Web LayerCak

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Andreas Tolk <atolk@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2007 20:06:12 -0400
>[Andreas Tolk siad;]
>>> The problem is: two contradicting conceptualization can both be
>right ... and that is the challenge to be solved by composable solutions.
>>>Andreas
>
>Can you provide one or more examples of that phenomenon?  I've been
>looking for "contradictory" models that both conform to reality for
>some time.
>Pat
My PhD student Chuck Turnitsa and myself introduced the example of letterworld and numberworld for an upcoming AAAI discussion paper, which can serve to explain the principle: We have the observation of "reality" coming up with the the properties (or symbols to describe them): A1, B1, A2, B2, A3, B3. Observer One is interested in letters and builds to sets - or propertied concepts - to model this information: (A1, A2, A3) and (B1, B2, B3). Observer Two is interested in numbers and comes to (A1, B1), (A2, B2) and (C1, C2). Both use the same observation, same resolution, and the same scope, but they end up with different structures.
Example from military modeling: We have numbers of soldiers in the Army and in the Air Force, Ammuniation available in the Army and the Air Force, and Fuel in the Army and the Air Force. The General is interested in operational capability of the forces, so he looks at Army (Soldiers, Ammo, Fuel) and Air Force (Soldiers, Ammo, Fuel). The Logistician is interested in storage and delivery, so he looks at Soldiers (Army, Air Force), Ammo (Army, Air Force), and Fuel (Army, Air Force).
Seems trivial, but becomes a great obstacles when you try to federate operational simulation systems with logistic simulation systems: What information model to use to communicate, what to do if system one updates the fuel, but system two needs all army information in order to make an update, etc.
Hope this helps,
Andreas