Re: [ontolog-forum] Fabula Rasa

To: Ontolog <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Jon Awbrey <jawbrey@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2007 08:04:51 -0400
o~~~~~~~~~o~~~~~~~~~o~~~~~~~~~o~~~~~~~~~o~~~~~~~~~o~~~~~~~~~o    (01)

DM = Deborah MacPherson    (02)

DM: http://ontolog.cim3.net/forum/ontolog-forum/2007-08/msg00330.html    (03)

DM: But Azmat and others on the side of perfection --
    you have to start somewhere.  Designing public
    semantic space and information exchange on the
    Internet is the largest most comprehensive
    Design-Build project in human history.    (04)

DM: The perfect conceptualization, presentation scheme,
    and data processing technique may never be one sound
    set of construction documents or umbrella ontology --
    ready for release and use across all boundaries with
    no errors, omissions, and incomplete references.    (05)

DM: Different objectives and beliefs need to have the
    opportunity to expose and combat each other as a
    matter of public record -- which is missing -- but
    regardless, waiting for universal truths to become
    self evident stands in the way of progress.    (06)

DM: The blanks can't start to be filled in and errors corrected
    to create bigger, more accurate pictures without starting
    somewhere even if critical portions of the work are flawed.
    I believe John was right with his three principles, including
    Chris Menzel and Kathryn Laskey comments -- with the exception
    John's three nonemotional points pertain to many forms of idea
    and information exchange, not just science and not just ontology
    design.  Science and ontology design are in the awkward position
    of practicing due diligence and trying ones best while discordant
    beliefs are swirling all around, colliding head on, wrecking
    everything now and then.    (07)

Deborah,    (08)

I'm a pragmatist, not a perfectionist, and I started somewhere sometime ago.
Looking back, most of my efforts have been wasted on account of a particular
phenomenon -- that people just keep starting over with a brand new slate but
without taking the trouble to read what was writ on the old one.    (09)

That's the short of it -- I'll get to the long of it later in the day.    (010)

Until then ...    (011)

Jon Awbrey    (012)

inquiry e-lab: http://stderr.org/pipermail/inquiry/
¢iare: http://www.centiare.com/Directory:Jon_Awbrey