Re: [ontolog-forum] Current Semantic Web Layer Cake

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Randall R Schulz <rschulz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2007 17:11:21 -0700
Hi, Duane,    (01)

On Monday 06 August 2007 16:37, Duane Nickull wrote:
> Randall:
>
> Very cool.  Would you consider showcasing this during our next
> Ontology Applications & Implementations session?  We have done two
> and if there is interest, I would like to ask Peter for another.    (02)

Showcasing? Aw, shucks... Well, if you twist my arm, I suppose I'll have
to comply.    (03)

But I'm reluctant to demonstrate the old UI, which is very unsatisfying
even to me, the guy who wrote it. The new one will be much more
functional and usable, but it's still a couple of weeks from even being
demonstrateable.    (04)

> I would also like to invite you to add your product under this page:
>
> http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?OntologyDrivenApplications
>
> Please be sure to note the IPR terms and rules.    (05)

I cannot find the link to the IPR terms and rules page.    (06)

> Questions:
>
> Why did you use CLIF and not KIF?    (07)

We've been using primarily KIF since the project's inception, in 2001.
CLIF looks like the future to us and also directly incorporates some
capabilities (especially modularization and an inherently
network-enabled content model) that we would otherwise have had to
invent ourselves, so when the CL / CLIF spec finally settled down, we
decided it was the best approach.    (08)

Also, we're taking the opportunity of adding CLIF support to relax some
of the strict first-order requirements we enforced in our KIF dialect,
namely that symbols name a single entity (i.e., a individual constant,
function or predicate name, but not more than one of these) and that
functions and predicates have fixed arities.    (09)

> What sort of GUI are you considering building?    (010)

We're going Web-based. A federated content model plus a service-oriented
architecture seem the best way to handle the requirements of an
extensible prover / solver system. In particular, since first-order
reasoning can be pretty CPU- and memory-intensive, it's useful to be
able to separate the user interface from the processor(s) that do the
inference processing.    (011)

Our current development emphasizes the user interface, since we've
started to acquire users besides ourselves. To date, the best way to
use the system was via its CLI, and that required one to be rather
motivated, something that really only described its authors...    (012)

After this, we'll turn back to improving the prover / solver's
capabilities and performance. We're currently emphasizing
representation and problem-solving for PSL.    (013)

> Duane    (014)

Randall Schulz    (015)